Egypt overview Last updated on
Thursday 15th April 2010
- Arab Republic of Egypt (Jumhuriyah Misr al-’Arabiyah)
- Northern Africa, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, between Libya and the Gaza Strip
- total: 1,001,450 sq. km
- land: 995,450 sq. km
- water: 6,000 sq. km
- Cairo (Al-Qahirah), 8,900,000 (estimation of 1995)
- Alexandria (al-Iskandariyah) 3,382,000 people, Ismailia, Port Said, El Giza (Al-Jizah),
- 62,226,000 (estimation of 1999)
- Muslim, majority Sunni. There is about 10% Coptic minority and other smaller Christian groups.
- Desert; hot, dry summers with moderate winters
- Arabic (official), English and French are also used in business.
- 1 Egyptian pound = 100 piastres
- 384,300 sq. miles (995,500 sq. km)
International dialing code
- July 23, Revolution Day (1952).
As you like 'Egypt overview' you may also like following articles . . .
Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (al-Mamlakah al-Urdunniya al-Hashimiyah)
Population: 2,3000,000 people (estimation of 1995).
Republic of Lebanon (Ajjamhouriyya Al-lubnaniyya)
Middle East, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, between Israel and Syria
Between 3 and 4...
The Syrian Arab Republic
Damascus (Dimashq), population approximately 4-6 million
Lattakia on the north coast (pop. 222,500)
Second port is Tartus...
Republic of Djibouti (République de Djibouti)
An arid coastal zone around the Gulf of Tadjoura, Djibouti is just north of the...
The Egyptian Pound (L.E.), divided into 100 piastres, is the official currency of Egypt. As of 1995 the 3.40 Egyptian Pounds equal one US Dollar. The once severe currency restrictions have...
Republic of the Sudan
Khartoum (population between 4 and 5 million)
Port Sudan on the Red Sea (population 206,727)
Additional urban centres...
Republic of Tunisia (Aj-jamhouryya At-tonisyya)
Type of government
Tunis (capital), Sfax, Sousse, Bizerte.