Kuwait Tour Guide: Where to Visit
Kuwait Tour Guide: Where to Visit Last updated on Wednesday 21st April 2010
Kuwait National Museum
Located on Arabian Gulf Street, the museum is comprised of four buildings and a planetarium. It was looted and burned by the Iraqis during the occupation. The museum includes Al-Sabah Collection of Islamic Art and was acclaimed by international art historians as one of the most comprehensive collections of Islamic art in the world. Unless its treasures can be recovered, the museum is unlikely to be the fascinating place it was prior to the invasion.
This is located near the National Museum and is not just an exhibition of traditional Bedouin weaving but also a way of keeping that craft alive. Bedouin women can be seen weaving in the courtyard and courses are run. Sadu House is also an outlet for the sale of traditional weavings. The house is worth a visit as a rare model of houses constructed during the pre-oil era.
Tareq Rajab Museum
It has a large and very important collection of ceramics, manuscripts, metalwork, textiles, costumes and the largest collection of silver folk jewelry from the Arab and Islamic world on public display. For more information, tel.: 531 7358.
Situated between the National Museum and the Sadu House, this is an old house built between 1838 and 1848. It was owned and occupied in the past by Al-Badr family and is currently used for exhibitions of local handicrafts.
Old City Wall Gates
The wall was originally built by Sheikh Salim Al-Mubarak in 1922 to keep the marauding desert tribes out of the town. Although largely demolished in the 1950s, the gates are still standing at various key points in the city. All of them are on, or adjacent to, the First Ring Road.
This was one of Kuwait's major dhow building areas. Some dhows are still built there, including miniatures.
The Museum of Islamic Antique
Displays more than twenty thousand pieces of rare and precious Islamic antiques, manuscripts, rare pottery, glass and metal works belonging to different Islamic eras. The museum also includes a specialized library with more than 7000 books.
The Red Palace
Situated in Al-Jahra district, the palace was built by Sheikh Mubarak Al-Sabah between 1914-1915 in a location liking the Kuwaitis and the other Arab tribes living in the neighbouring desert. Because it was used as the main Kuwaitis' fortress, it is commonly associated with Al-Jahra battle, which took place in 1920.
The Folklore Centre
One of the institutions concerned with preserving and teaching the Kuwaiti folklore. Several folklore bands and groups are being encouraged by the centre, which sometimes host folklore performances.
Saif Al-Shamlan Museum
It is small museum located in Al-daiya and includes a collection of rare antiques including a Turkish-made rifle of pure gold stamped by Sultan Abdul Hameed II seal in 1906 in a addition to a number of rare coins, utensils, old architectural items and devices for the household use.
It was built in the 19th century and owned by a Kuwaiti merchant. In 1929 it was occupied by colonel Dickson, the British commissioner in Kuwait. With 30 rooms on the second and third floors, the mansion has four main gates, three of them facing Arab Gulf Street. Following the death of colonel Dickson's widow, Um saud, in 1990, the mansion was taken care of by the National Council for Culture, Arts and Letters, which is currently in charge of restoring it.