Utilities and Services in Kuwait

Utilities and Services in Kuwait Last updated on Wednesday 21st April 2010


If you wish to have a telephone, application must be made to the Ministry of Communications with the following documents:

Passport photocopies of the pages showing your name and residence visa Photocopies of your accommodation lease and an electricity bill Certificate to show there are no outstanding amounts on past phone bills Refundable deposit or security bank guarantee of KD 500 if you wish to have an international line. Otherwise you can make local calls and receive incoming international calls.

Companies do not have to deposit the KD 500 bond or submit a copy of their electric bill. Government workers are also exempt from paying the deposit.

Telephone bills can be obtained from the Telephone Exchange.


Electric power is supplied at 240 volts, 50 cycles AC and transformers are available in hotels and shops. Electricity charges may or may not be included in the terms of your lease.

When you rent a flat or a villa, you must take the rental contract to the nearest electricity office together with your passport, residence visa and a refundable deposit of KD 100. An electrician from the Ministry of Electricity and Water will go with you to switch on the power when you move to new accommodation.


Gas is produced at the Mina Abdullah Refinery and is delivered to depots in canisters. Depots are conveniently located in all areas. The number of canisters that can be purchased at one time is now limited. A permit is required for buying in commercial quantities.

As you like 'Utilities and Services in Kuwait' you may also like following articles . . .

Useful Qatar Government Addresses

The following addresses are all in Doha, the capital of Qatar. Ministry of Defence PO Box 37 Telephone: 404111 Ministry of Interior PO Box 2433 Telephone: 330000 Ministry of Public Health...

Kuwait Transport: Driving Licenses

Visitors can use international driving licenses issued by their respective country within the time limit of their visa; however, the license must be insured. Foreigners with an official...

Telephone System in Algeria

Like the postal system, the telephone system in Algeria is substandard. Overseas calls can take hours to put through, particularly those made outside the capital city of Algiers. There are...

Kuwait Tour Guide: Rental Accommodation

Foreign nationals cannot buy real estate in Kuwait. A wide variety of rental accommodation is available, ranging from studio apartments to large villas. There are a number of real estate...

Government organizations in Bahrain

Ministry of Foreign Affairs P.O. Box 547 Manama, Bahrain Telephone: (973) 262277 Fax: (973) 210575 Ministry of Justice and Islamic Affairs P.O. Box 450 Manama, Bahrain Telephone: (973)...

Kuwait Tour Guide: Communications

Local calls are free and can be made from either shops or local telephone exchanges. Overseas calls can be made from hotels or the telephone exchanges. Postal services are currently being...

Working in Kuwait

Work Permits/No Objection Certificates If you intend to take up employment in Kuwait, you will need a Work Permit and a No Objection Certificate. The first is issued by the Ministry of...