Working in Kuwait

Working in Kuwait Last updated on Tuesday 20th April 2010

Work Permits/No Objection Certificates

If you intend to take up employment in Kuwait, you will need a Work Permit and a No Objection Certificate. The first is issued by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour at which point the Ministry of the Interior must be applied to for the NOC and entry permit. These formalities of course must be completed by your sponsor.

Residence Permits

In order to obtain a residence permit, it is necessary to complete a form issued by the Ministry of the Interior and to have this signed by your sponsor. You will need to be fingerprinted and also to undergo a medical check. After completion of these two, the form is then taken to your local Passport Office with the following:

Fingerprint Department form

Medical Certificate

Work Permit from the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour

No Objection Certificate and copies

A copy of your passport

At least four passport photographs

As a general rule, these procedures are the responsibility of the sponsor. In a large company, a man who deals with various government departments and agencies (called in Arabic a mandub) will probably have the responsibility of carrying out these jobs.

Health Regulations

Vaccination Certificates are required against cholera and yellow fever for travellers coming from infected areas. Children less than one year old are excepted. Vaccination against TB is also recommended.

In order to qualify for residence in Kuwait, you must have a medical check. This is primarily aimed at detecting such major infectious diseases as AIDS and TB. Those found to have serious infectious diseases will not be allowed to stay in the country.

Civil ID

Once residence procedures have been completed, you are required to register for a Civil ID card. This is compulsory and the cards, once issued, should be carried with you at all times. Once the form has been completed, you will need to submit it along with photographs and a photocopy of the relevant pages of your passport to the Public Authority for Civil Information.

As you like 'Working in Kuwait' you may also like following articles . . .

Kuwait Transport: Driving Licenses

Visitors can use international driving licenses issued by their respective country within the time limit of their visa; however, the license must be insured. Foreigners with an official...

Kuwait Ministries

Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs General inquiries, tel.: 248 0000 Ministry of Commerce and Industry General inquiries, tel.: 246 3600 Ministry of Communications General inquiries,...

Kuwait Labour Laws

The Kuwait Labour Law is valid whether or not you have a written contract. If you do have a written contract, it will supersede the Labour Law; therefore, it is important to check it...

Oman Tour Guide - Permits

Site permits In order to visit archaeological sites, old forts etc., it is necessary to obtain a permit from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage in Muscat. They are easy to obtain...

Kuwait Visas

Nationals of the Gulf Cooperation Council states (GCC -- Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and the Sultanate of Oman) do not need entry visas. All other nationalities...

Utilities and Services in Kuwait

Telephone If you wish to have a telephone, application must be made to the Ministry of Communications with the following documents: Passport photocopies of the pages showing your name and...

Sudan Tour Guide: Visas & Permits

Entry visas are required by all nationalities, and are valid for one month. Evidence of a previous visit to Israel or will result in a visa refusal. Permits are required by visitors...